How the Family Court works for you
  • How the Family Court works for you
  • Lawyer for the Child
  • Choosing who to live with
  • Seeing an expert
  • If you want to go to court
  • What if I’m not happy with the court’s decision?
  • How long will it take to go through court?
  • Can the arrangements change?
  • Contacting the Family Court
What happens to us when our parents break up?
  • Is it my fault?
  • Will it get easier?
  • Why have I got such strong feelings about this?
  • What can I do to feel better?
  • What if my feelings don’t get better or I feel really bad?
  • Whose job is it to look after me now?
  • Do I have to say who I want to live with?
  • How do we sort out the new arrangements for me?
  • Getting on with your parents
  • New partners
  • Where can I go for more help?
Making a Will & Estate Administration
  • Making a will
  • Guardianship of children
  • Property (Relationships Act)
  • Enduring powers of attorney
  • Living wills and advance directives
  • Estate administration
Responding to a Protection Order
  • What is a protection order?
  • How are they made?
  • Who is protected?
  • What is domestic violence?
  • What does the protection order mean?
  • How long will it last?
  • What happens if the order is breached?
  • What if you’re served with a temporary protection order?
  • What happens if you’re served with a notice that an application has been made for a final protection order?
  • Can I still have contact with my children?
  • What’s a parenting order?
  • What are property orders?
  • Occupation & tenancy orders
  • Furniture orders
  • How to get more information & advice
The Family Trust
  • Why have family trusts?
  • Who is involved?
  • How long does it last?
  • Who can appoint and remove trustees?
  • How does a trust operate?
  • Getting assets into a trust
  • Reduction of the debt owed by the trust
  • Getting money out of the trust
  • What about tax?
  • Trust structures
  • Caution
Motor vehicles, accidents & alcohol
  • Accidents
  • Contact with police officers
  • Breath and blood alcohol level tests
  • Driver licences
Powers of Attorney
  • What is a general power of attorney?
  • What is an enduring power of attorney?
  • A property EPA
  • A personal care and welfare EPA
  • Who should set up an EPA, and when?
  • Who should you appoint?
  • How do you arrange an EPA?
  • Who checks on the attorneys?
  • How long does an EPA have effect?
  • What is a person is mentally incapable?
  • What happens on death?
  • Living wills and advance directives
About Guardianship of a Child
  • Restrictions on appointing a partner as a guardian
  • Who can make the appointment?
  • The process of appointing the new guardian


Buying or Selling a Property
  • Get the most from your property experience
  • Stay in control
  • What is the process?
  • Your lawyer’s role
  • What needs to be done and who does it for you?
  • Loans
  • Buying a property – ownership and other issues
  • Your property checklist
  • How much can you afford to pay for a home?
  • Other sale and purchase costs
  • FAQs
  • Commonly used terms
Parenting Orders
  • What is a parenting order?
  • Applying for a parenting order?
  • How the Family Court decides?
  • Giving the children their say
  • What will the parenting order cover?
  • Making parenting orders work
Your Consumer Rights (Goods)
  • What is the Consumer Guarantees Act?
  • Guarantees for goods
  • Manufacturer’s guarantees
  • Remedies from traders
  • Extra loss or damage (consequential loss)
  • Taking the matter further
Your Consumer Rights (Services)
  • What is the Consumer Guarantees Act?
  • Guarantees for services
  • Your rights and remedies from traders
  • Extra loss or damage (consequential loss)
  • Taking the matter further
Before you borrow money

Use this guide to help you get what you want from a loan, credit purchase, or credit card.

Full range of Consumer Affairs publications

Browse the full library of consumer-related publications

Living Together

This guide covers:

  • De facto relationships
  • Names
  • Children
  • Your partner’s children
  • Getting help
  • Family violence
  • Financial support
  • Property
  • Death
  • Other matters
Enduring Powers of Attorney -

Easy To Read Version

Protect Your Future

Protect Your Future For Attorneys

What To Think About Before Setting Up An EPA

What To Do When Something Goes Wrong



If you can’t find the information you’re looking for here, why not try the FAQs section?

Your Lifetime Lawyers

Find out about our wide range of legal services to see you through life’s stages...

News that could affect you

Cyber bullying - on its way out?
Cyber Bullying - on its way out? The Harmful Digital Communications Act 2015 (the Act) became law on 2 July 2015. Sections 22 - 25...

Back to Top

Contact Us

Book a Consultation - the first 15 minutes are on us! >